Friday, September 22, 2006

FFF #4: A Fate Postponed

Here's my latest Flash Fiction Friday entry. The prompt:
Write anything under 1000 words that includes the following sentence:
The elephant found me.
For extra points, include the phrase
stinky smelly stenchuous odoriferous elephant dung

So here goes:

A Fate Postponed

I’d just fallen off a cliff—a truly death-defying fall. As a matter of fact, all my companions assumed that I hadn’t survived and went on their way. And I suppose I wouldn’t have lived much longer, but as fate would have it, the elephant found me.

I was lying there, feverishly dreaming of the gentle kisses of my One True Love, when I was awakened instead by the insistent nudges of the aforementioned pachyderm’s trunk. Or was it the stinky smelly stenchuous odoriferous elephant dung that brought me to consciousness? Either way, the dream was decidedly preferable to my waking sensations.

Now, in the book none of this actually happened; this whole plotline is a rather demented aberration from the familiar story. And in the movie, well, it was a horse and not an elephant that woke me up, but as we’re already fabricating, I might as well go for it.

So as I was being transported on the elephant’s back, I was able to formulate some plans for warfare against oliphaunt-riding Southrons. And I guess you know the rest: Helm’s Deep, the Paths of the Dead, serious battles against overwhelming odds and, ultimately, good triumphs over evil and the Age of Men is ushered in, but not without a price.

The elephant gave me only a temporary respite to play my part (although, if I do say so myself, a fairly glorious one) in the affairs of this world. And now it is time for me to succumb to my postponed fate, while my One True Love will remain awhile to contemplate the loss and loneliness of an Age that has waned and a choice made many years past.


7 comments:

Cath Smith said...

Nicely worked into the LoTR universe! Although I'm still trying to figure out whether you mean Gandalf or Aragorn... better go check out the books again, I guess....

John said...

Cool twist of fictions. Hard to do!

Bk30 said...

LOL, I loved the movie, book differances dig!

CaySedai said...

Nice twist. :-)

CaySedai
http://caysedai.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

"And I guess you know the rest: Helm’s Deep, the Paths of the Dead, serious battles against overwhelming odds and, ultimately, good triumphs over evil and the Age of Men is ushered in, but not without a price."

Deadpan synopsis (how often do you see those words juxtaposed??) -- very fun!

- Marsh

JD Byrne said...

Heh - never read LoTR, but I saw the flicks. Good thing, too! Never know where those things will pop up.

Mary Kay said...

Love the books and movies! Good job of weaving this all together.